Santa Monica, California 90404
(310) 582-7438 http://www.jwci.org
John Wayne Cancer Institute (JWCI) has established a reputation for conducting clinical trials efficiently and effectively. Our investigators are experienced with clinical trials and have a broad range of cancer specialties. We also have experienced clinical research coordinators, research nurse staff, research assistants, and support staff. Biostatistical assistance and study analysis is available through the Institute, as well as research assistance for preparation of institutional review board and other regulatory documentation. We are also very experienced in budget preparation, contract negotiation, and study implementation. The free-standing research facility at the John Wayne Cancer Institute includes specialized research units, among which are laboratories in molecular oncology, molecular therapeutics, experimental therapeutics, glyco-immunotherapy, immunodiagnosis, endocrine/bone disease and biotechnology. One of the most important components of our ongoing research is the various databases that we have created. Our databases include: a patient database, an immunotherapy database and a cryopreserved specimen bank containing over a million specimens. These different databases are crucial to our ongoing research and collaboration with other scientists. We offer investigator site and management services to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical device industries. Our experienced research coordinators actively participate in each study we manage and coordinate for local investigators. Our staff is experienced in utilizing Remote Data Entry and we have the technology and equipment to accommodate RDE studies.
The investigators of the John Wayne Cancer Institute have initiated and participated in international, multi-center trials in their search for answers to scientific questions. The John Wayne Cancer Institute is experienced in conducting Phase II-IV clinical trials, evaluating a myriad of oncology areas. JWCI gives patients access to investigational drugs, innovative procedures, and new therapies with the trust and safety of well established professionals in their therapeutic arenas. JWCI investigators specialize in Breast/Endocrine, Colon/Gastrointestinal, Melanoma, Pancreatic, and Neurological cancers.
John Wayne Cancer Institute is comprised of numerous, high-profile clinical research physicians and surgeons practicing in AMCs, non-AMCs, and in high volume outpatient offices. Our investigators are board certified and regularly engage in clinical research studies.
Donald Morton, MD, Chief, Melanoma Program
- Area of Research: Melanoma, Site-specific metastasis, cytoreductive surgery, therapeutic vaccines, immunomodulation
Armando E. Giuliano, M.D., Chief of Science and Medicine, Director, John Wayne Cancer Institute Breast Center, ACOSOG member
- Area of Research: Benign and malignant breast disease, thyroid cancer, parathyroid cancer, proteomics, surgical improvement and outcomes
Myles C. Cabot, Ph.D., Director, Experimental Therapeutics
- Area of Research: Chemotherapy resistance, hormone and growth factor signaling, antiestrogens, mechanism of drug action, lipid metabolism
Alice P. Chung, M.D., Assistant Director, John Wayne Cancer Institute Breast Center
- Area of Research: Benign and malignant breast disease, breast imaging, role of molecular oncology in breast cancer progression
Xiaojiang Cui, Ph.D., Assistant Member, Molecular Oncology/Breast Translational Research
- Area of Research: Cancer Progression and Metastasis, Cancer Therapeutic Resistance and Novel Therapeutic Strategies
Mark Faries, M.D. ,Director, Translational Tumor Immunology
- Area of Research: Melanoma, Cancer immunotherapy, immune response, clinical trials
Valerie Gouaze-Andersson, Ph.D., Assistant Member, Experimental Therapeutics
- Area of Research: Lipid metabolism, oxidative stress, chemotherapy resistance and cell death.
Nancy C. Greep, M.D., Associate Director, Endocrine/Bone Disease Program
- Area of Research: Osteoporosis, Menopause, Hyperparathyroidism
Dave S. Hoon, M.Sc., Ph.D., Director, Department Molecular Oncology
- Area of Research: Molecular/genetic biomarkers, tumor-related genomic aberrations, molecular upstaging of sentinel lymph nodes in solid tumors, novel molecular therapeutic approaches using gene vaccines, identification of molecular targets for chemoprevention.
Reiko Irie, M.D. , Director, Biotechnology Science
- Area of Research: Human monoclonal antibodies
Daniel F. Kelly, M.D., Director, Brain Tumor Center
- Area of Research: Minimally invasive surgery, quality of life studies, pituitary hormonal recovery and traumatic brain injury.
Myung Shin Sim, Dr.PH, Assistant Member, Biostatistics Department
- Area of Research: Statistical Analysis, Study Design and Modeling Vaccine Effect
Frederick Singer, M.D., Director, Endocrine/Bone Disease Program
- Area of Research: Primary hyperthyroidism, Paget's disease of bone, osteoporosis, tumor markers
Gagandeep Singh, M.D., Director, Liver and Pancreas Center
- Area of Research: Gene therapy strategies for cancer, mechanisms of hepatic gene transfer, and developing technical innovations in hepatic and pancreatic surgery.
Many of our investigators are also available, beyond investigator meetings, to provide significant pre-study protocol input. JWCI encourages investigators to convey in-study ideas to sponsors to help enhance study outcomes.
John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center is conveniently located close to Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Burbank and Van Nuys airports, situated within the multicultural Los Angeles population. The largest patient populations are ages 35-54 (32%), 25-34 (17.5%) and 65+ (13.6%). The professional reputation of the John Wayne Cancer Institute physicians routinely brings in patients from across the country. In addition, JWCI performs studies within a large radius reaching north to Bakersfield, east to Riverside/San Bernardino and south to San Diego to treat patients within the local communities.
Lodging and restaurants are conveniently located for ease of site qualification, monitor and other study staff visits. JWCI's immediate campus includes Saint John's Health Center and all the facilities that the full-service hospital has to offer.
John Wayne Cancer Institute Office Complex and Institute Building:
- Secured, double-locked ambient and refrigerated study drug storage.
- Secured medical records storage.
- Secured CRF archive storage.
- State-of-the-art conference center with multimedia equipment
- Medical library for scientific discussion and reference.
- Valet parking for patients visiting the clinic
- State-of-the-art, dedicated computer servers, and in-house Information Technology (IT) department.
- On-site clinical research laboratory with full staff, offices, cold room, freezers, centrifuges and complete immunological, biochemical and molecular labs.
- On-site histopathology labs including cryomicrotome and full histology preparation labs.
JWCI Clinic/Saint John's Health Center Equipment:
- CT Scan
- DEXA Scanning
- Specialty Labs
- Medical & Surgical ICU's
- Nuclear Medicine
- Da Vinci Robot
- Dedicated Breast Cancer Clinic
- CLIA- and CAP-approved laboratory
- Saint John's Health Center is fully accredited by Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO)
At Saint John's Health Center, the gracefully curving, four-story inpatient facility combines the latest medical technology with innovations in patient care-giving environments, and in addition, opening in August 2009 is the Howard Keck Diagnostic and Treatment Center, a 275,000-square-foot, four-story treatment facility that will house a state-of-the-art Emergency Department, surgery rooms with the latest technologies, and imaging centers to meet both in and out-patient needs.
Clinical Research Coordinator
John Wayne Cancer Institute
2200 Santa Monica Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310) 582-7022 (fax)